Lake Bathurst, NSW

Lake Bathurst, NSW

The Lake (now surrounded by private property) was discovered by Hamilton Hume and Surveyor Meehan on an expedition through the area in 1818. Local settlement dates from 1826. The village has several surviving buildings from the 19th century including the old school house, Anglican Church and the old church hall.

This attractive tree-lined village is surrounded by farm stays and B&B's. Be sure to ask about the nearby WWII fuel stores and Woodlawn Bioreactor

Driving along the shady road through this little village in spring or autumn, visitors might see large flocks of black birds moving through the valleys and plains and wonder at the number of crows. In fact, no crows are found naturally in the Goulburn region. For most of the year small groups of Australian Ravens scavenge for rubbish and corpses in the roadsides and lambing paddocks. Twice a year they are joined by larger flocks of Little Ravens moving between the coast and the inland, where they perform a vital service preying on young grasshoppers that helps prevent locust plagues. The Australian Ravens have long throat feathers that stand out when they call. The Little Ravens do not, but instead have slightly deeper voices.

Contact Details:  

View On Map
Get Driving Directions
Results